Apple’s macOS is renowned for its ease of use and user-friendly interface. When it comes to software installation, the process is designed to be straightforward for users of all tech-savviness levels. In this article, we’ll guide you through the easy methods to know how to install Mac software.
Also Know: How to Start Windows in Safe Mode
Also Read: Five Ways to Right Click on A Mac/MacBook
Best Methods to Install and Uninstall Mac Software on a Mac
1. The Mac App Store
Apple’s own Mac App Store is the most trusted and safest place to download and install apps for macOS. Here’s how you can use it:
- Open the App Store: Click on the App Store icon in your dock or find it via Spotlight.
- Search or Browse: Use the search bar at the top right corner to find the software you want or browse through categories.
- Download/Install: Click on the software’s price (or the ‘Get’ button if it’s free). You might need to enter your Apple ID and password.
- Once downloaded, the app automatically installs and appears in your Applications folder.
2. Download from Trusted Websites
While the Mac App Store hosts a vast selection of software, some apps are not available there. Instead, they’re directly distributed by developers through their websites.
- Download the Software: Visit the official website of the software you wish to install and download the installer. This is typically a
- Open the Installer:
.dmgfiles: Double-click to open it. This mounts a virtual disk on your desktop, where you can drag the app icon into your Applications folder.
.pkgfiles: Double-click to run the installer, then follow the on-screen instructions.
- Safety First: Always ensure the source is trustworthy. Avoid downloading software from suspicious websites to prevent malware.
3. Use Terminal for Advanced Installations
For advanced users familiar with command lines, macOS Terminal can be a powerful tool to install certain software packages.
One common way is using a package manager like Homebrew:
- Install Homebrew (if you haven’t): In Terminal, paste:
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"
- Once Homebrew is installed, you can use the
brew install [software-name]command to install specific software packages.
4. Third-Party App Stores
Platforms like Setapp offer a curated selection of apps for a monthly subscription. Once you subscribe and install Setapp, you can easily install and use any app from their collection.
- Keep Software Updated: Regularly check for software updates. For apps from the Mac App Store, updates will appear under the ‘Updates’ tab. For other software, you might need to check the developer’s website or use built-in update checks within the apps.
- App Preferences: Some apps might require additional setup or configuration after installation. Always check an app’s preferences or settings after first launching to ensure it’s set up to your liking.
- Uninstallation: If you need to uninstall software, most apps can be simply dragged from the Applications folder to the Trash. Some might come with dedicated uninstallers, especially those installed via
So here we share how to install Mac software with step by step guide. MacOS provides a plethora of easy methods for software installation. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro, there’s a method that’s just right for you. Just remember to always prioritize safety and download from trusted sources.
Read Next: Ways to Protect Your Mac From Malware